Mission Mangal – Who made India the world’s first nation to reach Martian orbit in the first attempt
Mission Mangal is based on the story of scientists at the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). ISRO contributed to the Mars Orbiter Mission, which was the first and successful interplanetary expedition of India.
Directed by:Jagan Shakti
Written by:R. Balki, Jagan Shakti, Saketh Kondiparthi, and Sajid-Farhad
Cast of the Movie:
- Akshay Kumar as Rakesh Dhawan
- Vidya Balan as Tara Shinde
- Sonakshi Sinha as Ekta Gandhi
- Taapsee Pannu as Kritika Aggarwal
- Nithya Menen as Varsha Gowda
- Kirti Kulhari as Neha Siddiqui
- Sharman Joshi as Parmeshwar Naidu
- H. G. Dattatreya as Ananth Iyer
Real Story behind Mission Mangal
India’s maiden interplanetary mission, the Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) has completed four years orbiting the red planet, according to ISRO. Mangalyaan was launched on 5 November 2013 by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). It was inserted into Mars orbit on 24 September 2014 after a 298-day transit to Mars. Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) was the first interplanetary mission of India. It made India the first Asian nation to reach Martian orbit and the first nation in the world to do so in its first attempt. It has been configured to study about physical features and Martian atmosphere with following five payloads:
- Mars Colour Camera (MCC)
- Thermal Infrared Imaging Spectrometer (TIS)
- Methane Sensor for Mars (MSM)
- Mars Exospheric Neutral Composition Analyser (MENCA)
- Lyman Alpha Photometer (LAP)
- Launch Mass: 1337 kg
- Power: 840 W
- Launch Vehicle: PSLV-C25
- Type of Satellite: Science & Exploration
- Manufacturer: ISRO
- Owner: ISRO
- Application: Planetary Observation
- Orbit Type: Martian
- Launch Pad: Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR, Sriharikota
Women Power Behind Mission Mangal
- Ritu Kirdhal Deputy Operation Director, Mars Orbiter Mission. She started working at ISRO when she was just 18. She is an aerospace engineer and She has been called India’s “Rocket Woman” after the success of this mission.
- Nandini Harinath Deputy Operation Director, Mars Orbiter Mission. She has worked on 14 missions over 20 years at ISRO. She is also a Project Manager, Mission Designer apart from serving as deputy operations director on the Mars Orbiter Mission.
- Anuradha TK Geosat Program Director at ISRO Satellite Center. She has specialization in communication satellites and also worked on the launches of the satellites GSAT-12 and GSAT-10. She has sent a communication satellite to space, which is 36,000 kilometers away from India.